It is clear that when it comes to pickleball one of the most influential aspects is the type of paddle you use. One tried and tested option is a wooden paddle, which has been around since the game’s inception.
In this article we are looking at why someone might want to consider purchasing a wood paddle, what its disadvantages are, and how to look after it once acquired, weight of wooden pickleball paddle. By reading this piece you should be better placed to decide if a wooden pickleball paddle would work best for your own game.
So let’s dive into wooden pickleball paddle!
What Is a Wooden Pickleball Paddle?
A wooden pickleball paddle is a paddle crafted from hardwoods like maple or birch, known for its simplistic and traditional design. It features a flat surface and a handle, often with added texture or coating to enhance grip and durability. The handle may also incorporate cushioning or wrapping to improve comfort and control.
In comparison to other paddle types, the wooden pickleball paddle exhibits a few distinguishing characteristics.
Firstly, it tends to be heavier, weighing between 9 to 14 ounces. This additional weight enables players to generate greater power and momentum during their swings, although it demands more strength and endurance.
Secondly, the wooden paddle produces a more pronounced and resonant sound when striking the ball, resulting in a louder experience. While some players find this satisfying as it emphasizes the impact of their shots, others may perceive it as bothersome or distracting, preferring a quieter gameplay atmosphere.
Thirdly, wooden paddles lack the technological advancements and innovations found in other paddle variants. For instance, alternative paddles may incorporate diverse core materials, such as polymer, nomex, or aluminum honeycomb, which can affect ball bounce and spin. They may also possess varying surface textures like fiberglass, carbon fiber, or vinyl, influencing ball friction and speed.
Furthermore, other paddles often feature edge guards to safeguard against damage, enhancing balance and stability. They may additionally adopt different shapes to optimize the sweet spot and minimize mishits.
Some examples of wooden pickleball paddles are:
- Franklin Sports Activator Wooden Pickleball Paddle: This paddle comes with two X-40 outdoor pickleballs and is approved by USA Pickleball (USAPA) for competitive play. It has a 7-ply wood construction and a non-slip comfort grip.
- Amazin’ Aces Signature Wooden Pickleball Paddle: This paddle comes with four indoor pickleballs and an ebook with tips and rules. It has a 7-ply maple wood construction and a cushioned grip with wrist strap.
- Rally Meister Wooden Pickleball Paddle: This paddle comes with two indoor pickleballs and is ideal for beginners or schools. It has a 5-ply hardwood construction and a ribbed grip.
Why Choose a Wooden Pickleball Paddle?
Despite its limitations and challenges, a wooden pickleball paddle has some benefits and advantages that make it worth considering. Here are some reasons why you might want to choose a wooden pickleball paddle:
It is economical: One of the least expensive solutions available is a hardwood pickleball paddle. In contrast to other types of paddles, which may cost up to $200 or more, you can get one for as little as $10 or $30. Because of this, it is perfect for players on a low budget or those who wish to experience the sport without spending a lot of money.
It is enduring: One of the most durable alternatives is a hardwood pickleball paddle. Compared to composite or graphite paddle materials, it can take more abuse. Furthermore, it may survive longer than conventional paddles without losing its performance or shape.
It offers more power and control: A wooden pickleball paddle can provide more power and control than other types of paddles because of its weight and consistency. The weight of wooden pickleball paddle can help you hit harder and deeper shots with more force and momentum. The consistency of the wood can help you hit more accurately and precisely with less variation.
Many players who use wooden pickleball paddles swear by them and enjoy their unique feel and performance. They claim that wooden paddles give them more confidence and satisfaction in their game. They also appreciate the traditional and vintage look and feel of wooden paddles.
What Are the Drawbacks of a Wooden Pickleball Paddle?
As we mentioned earlier, a wooden pickleball paddle is not without its drawbacks and challenges. Here are some of the disadvantages and risks of using a wooden pickleball paddle:
It is heavy: A wooden pickleball paddle is one of the heaviest options available. This can cause fatigue and strain on your wrist and arm, especially if you play for a long time or frequently. It can also reduce your maneuverability and speed, making it harder to react and adjust to different shots and situations.
It is noisy: A wooden pickleball paddle is one of the noisiest options available. This can be annoying or distracting for you or your opponents, especially if you play in a quiet or residential area. It can also affect your concentration and focus, making it harder to hear the ball or your partner’s cues.
It lacks technology and innovation: A wooden pickleball paddle is one of the most basic and simple options available. It does not have the technology and innovation that other types of paddles have, such as different core materials, surface textures, edge guards, and shapes. This means that it may not perform as well as other paddles in terms of bounce, spin, speed, sweet spot, and mishits.
It can cause medical issues: A wooden pickleball paddle can cause medical issues such as tennis elbow or carpal tunnel syndrome due to the vibration and shock that it transmits to your arm. These are common injuries among pickleball players that can affect your comfort, health, and enjoyment. They can also limit your ability to play or require medical treatment.
Your game, performance, and talents may be significantly impacted by these limitations and difficulties. They may also have a favourable impact on your happiness, health, and comfort. They could also sap your enthusiasm or drive for pickleball.
How to Buy and Maintain a Wooden Pickleball Paddle?
If you decide to buy a wooden pickleball paddle, you need to consider some factors and tips to make sure you get the best one for your needs and preferences. Here are some guidance and advice on how to buy and maintain a wooden pickleball paddle:
- Choose the right weight: The weight of the paddle is one of the most important factors to consider when buying a wooden pickleball paddle. You need to find a balance between power and control, as well as comfort and performance. Generally, lighter paddles are easier to swing and maneuver but offer less power and stability. Heavier paddles are harder to swing and maneuver but offer more power and stability. The ideal weight for you depends on your strength, stamina, skill level, and personal preference.
- Choose the right size: The size of the paddle is another important factor to consider when buying a wooden pickleball paddle. You need to find a size that fits your hand comfortably and securely. Generally, smaller paddles are easier to control but offer less surface area and sweet spot. Larger paddles are harder to control but offer more surface area and sweet spot. The ideal size for you depends on your hand size, grip style, skill level, and personal preference.
- Choose the right grip: The grip of the paddle is another important factor to consider when buying a wooden pickleball paddle. You need to find a grip that feels comfortable and natural in your hand. Generally, thinner grips are easier to maneuver but offer less cushioning and support. Thicker grips are harder to maneuver but offer more cushioning and support. The ideal grip for you depends on your hand size, grip style, skill level, and personal preference.
- Choose the right brand: The brand of the paddle is another important factor to consider when buying a wooden pickleball paddle. You need to find a brand that offers quality, durability, and performance. Generally, reputable brands have more experience and expertise in making paddles than unknown brands. They also have more reviews and feedback from customers than unknown brands. The ideal brand for you depends on your budget, trustworthiness, and personal preference.
- Clean your paddle regularly: To maintain your wooden pickleball paddle in good condition, you need to clean it regularly. You can use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe off any dirt or dust from the surface of the paddle. You can also use mild soap or detergent if needed. You should avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the wood or the coating.
- Store your paddle properly: To maintain your wooden pickleball paddle in good condition, you need to store it properly. You should keep it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources that can warp or crack the wood. You should also avoid storing it in humid or moist places that can cause mold or mildew growth. You should also protect it from scratches or dents by using a case or cover.
Frequently Asked Questions
A wooden pickleball paddle can be purchased from a variety of places, including internet retailers, sporting goods stores, and pickleball associations. Amazon, Pickleball Central, and Pickleball Pretties are a few online retailers who sell wooden pickleball paddles. Wooden pickleball paddles are available from a number of manufacturers, including Franklin Sports, Amazin’ Aces, Rally Meister, Joola, and PCKL.
You should take into account various criteria, such as weight, size, grip, and brand, while selecting the best wooden pickleball paddle for you. Power and control, comfort and functionality, and quality and cost must all be balanced. Additionally, you need to look for a company that sells trusted goods.
To take care of your wooden pickleball paddle, you need to clean it regularly with a damp cloth or sponge and mild soap or detergent. You also need to oil it occasionally with linseed oil or mineral oil to prevent it from drying or cracking. You also need to store it in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
A wooden pickleball paddle is a simple and affordable option that can offer more power and control. However, it is also heavy and noisy and may not suit your comfort and performance needs. To choose and use a wooden pickleball paddle, you need to consider some factors and tips. A wooden pickleball paddle can be a good choice for beginners or budget-conscious players, but not for advanced or competitive players. For more information you can also refer wooden pickleball paddle weight guide.
We hope the above provided information would be helpful to you. Let us know your pickleball experience with wooden pickleball paddle in the below given comment box.
Founder of BallSportsGear, Sports Enthusiast and Speaker.